Last Name / Born After August 3, 1988 / Under Mothers surname but with PHI by Father

Birth certificate already registered and child is under the surname of the mother and a Private Handwritten Instrument (PHI) by the father is presented

You can use the surname of the father by applying the provisions of R.A. 9255.

The PHI executed by the father should be the basis in order for you to use the surname of your father. Since the surname being used is the surname of the mother, an Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF) should also be executed with the civil registry office where the birth is registered.

Who Shall File

  • Father
  • Mother
  • Child, if of age
  • Guardian

Where to File

  • Civil registry office where the birth of the child is registered.
  • If born abroad with the Consul of the Philippine Embassy where the child is born.
  • In cases of children born abroad, the birth certificate, shall be annotated by the PSA.

Supporting Documents

  1. PHI executed by the father
  2. AUSF