The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), RSSO XIII in coordination with the concerned offices in Caraga will be celebrating the 32nd National Statistics Month in October 2021. During the month-long event, several activities will be conducted to promote the relevance of statistics. These activities will include statistical contests/competitions engaging both the virtual and face-to-face mode. We are inviting students from Secondary Schools (public or private), State Universities and the Colleges (SUCs) of Caraga, as well as employees/technical staff from Regional Line Agencies (RLAs), Local Government Units (LGUs), and other government offices to join the competitions.
About the NSM and the Competition/Contest
The National Statistics Month (NSM) was first observed in 1990 pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 647 signed by then President Corazon C. Aquino on September 20, 1990, Declaring the Month of October of Every Year as the National Statistics Month.
The NSM celebration aims to:
i. promote, enhance and instill awareness and appreciation of the importance and value of statistics to the different sectors of society; and
ii. to elicit the cooperation and support of the general public in upgrading the quality and standards of statistics in the country.
There will be a total of four (4) different statistical competitions to be conducted during the opening and closing ceremonies which will be participated by students and/or employees/technical staff of Caraga as follows:
1) Best Display of Statistical Practices Using Infographics:
The Best Display of Statistical Practices Using Infographics is one of the highlights of the celebration. This contest features different agencies and institutions’ statistical data highlighting major sectoral indicators. The contest also aims to ensure that accurate and reliable data is made accessible to the general public.
2) Virtual Data Storytelling:
The Virtual Data Storytelling Contest is an on-the-spot contest on the preparation of articles using official statistics such as labor force/employment statistics, poverty statistics, among others. The contest aims to test data literacy i.e., data interpretation and communication of statistics, among students. This activity will be undertaken in coordination with the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) – Caraga. The finalists will compete on October 29, 2021 virtually via zoom at their preferred location. They will be closely monitored through video cameras and their respective connection or link to the established google document with the inputs for real time entry of the article.
3) E-Oratorical Contest:
A competition on oration designed for youth to gain experience in public speaking via the virtual platform. This activity is in coordination with the Department of Education (DepEd) Caraga.
4) Inter-Agency/LGU Stat Quiz
A three-round quiz which will test the knowledge of the contestants regarding statistics and other data-related reports.
Mechanics and Guidelines for the Statistical Competitions
- BEST DISPLAY OF STATISTICAL PRACTICES USING INFOGRAPHICS:
- The contest is open to all Regional Line Agencies (RLAs), Local Government Units (LGUs), and Academe in Caraga Region.
- Each participating agency/institution shall only have one entry.
- The infographics display must convey the latest and accurate statistics of the participating office.
- The entry must be displayed in the following size as shown below.
- The display should present meaningful statistics through infographics.
- Interested RLAs, LGUs, and academic institutions must duly complete the confirmation slip and submit the same to PSA on or before 04 October 2021, Monday, 5:00 p.m. Soft copies of all entries shall likewise be submitted to PSA through email at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- All entries should likewise be posted in your office/agency Facebook page or account with the caption, “BEST DISPLAY OF STATISTICAL PRACTICES USING INFOGRAPHICS” and with the hashtags #32ndNSM #CaragaNSMInfographics. Do not forget to tag @Philippine Statistics Authority - RSSO XIII FB page in your post on or before 04 October 2021.
- Facebook likes or positive reactions/emojis/emoticons in this post will be accounted by the NSM Secretariat on or before 15 October, 1PM.
- By participating in this event, the contestant attests that the submitted infographics is originally created by the participant and no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the infographic. PSA reserves the right to verify this through any means and disqualify any entry at any time.
- All submitted entries will be considered property of PSA RSSO XIII.
- The judging period is on 15 October 2021, Friday, at PSA RSSO XIII, Butuan City.
- All entries shall be judged according to the following criteria:
Visual Appeal 15.00%
Facebook Likes or Positive Reactions/Emojis/Emoticons 10.00%
- Announcement of winners will be on 19 October 2021, Tuesday, during the 2nd Caraga Statistics Congress and Data Festival.
- The decision of the Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable. Any administrative or technical challenges that may arise during the contest shall be resolved by the organizers together with the Board of Judges, whose decision shall be final and irrevocable.
- The prizes, shall be:
- All non-winning contestants will also receive a token and certificate of recognition.
- The winners agree to the disclosure and publication of their names and infograhics in any photo, publicity or other media arrangement made by PSA related to the announcement of the results of this contest.
- Infographics may be cited or used by PSA for advocacy purposes and/or any other uses the PSA may deem appropriate. Proper attribution to the author will be made should portions or the full article is cited.
Note: All entries will be displayed during the 2nd Caraga Statistics Congress and Data Festival at a venue to be announced later.
- VIRTUAL DATA STORYTELLING:
1. The contest is open to all college students in the region more especially those have taken basic courses in statistics.
2. Interested college students shall accomplish a confirmation slip found on the last part of this bulletin. The filled-out confirmation slip shall be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com on or before 04 October 2021, Monday, at 5:00 p.m.
- During the contest proper, each contestant will be given the same set of tables containing the latest statistics generated by PSA.
- The contestant will be given one (1) hour and 30 minutes to analyze and interpret the data and to prepare an article based on the data at hand. A timer will be shown on the screen in the zoom platform.
- Each contestant must bring his or her own laptop or tablet whichever is preferred and use this in writing their pieces. The contestants will utilize the google doc apps in the preparation of the statistical article. Individual access to the google doc will be provided. A declaration form will be accomplished by the contestants ensuring that the articles are originally composed by them.
- The article (including tables, charts and figures) must be typewritten/encoded in English, double-spaced, and shall be composed of at least 500 words and shall not exceed 800 words in the google doc apps.
- The entries shall be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the subject “DATA STORYTELLING” after the allotted time with the following information:
- Title of the article
- Name of the author
- Name of the State University/College
- All entries once submitted will be considered final. Succeeding submissions will not be considered.
- The criteria for judging will be as follows:
Content- Correct and innovative use of data with appropriate structure
Storytelling - Capability to tell a compelling and engaging story
Overall impact –Effectiveness in displaying the data that impacts on the reader’s understanding of the data.
- The winners of the virtual data storytelling contest shall be announced during the last part/awarding of the closing ceremony of the 32nd NSM and their names shall be posted at the PSA RSSOXIII Official Website www.psa.gov.ph/rssocaraga.
- All submitted entries will become the property of the PSA RSSO XIII (Caraga). Articles may be cited or used by PSA for advocacy purposes and/or any other uses the PSA may deemed appropriate. Proper attribution to the author will be made should portions or the full article is cited. 1
- The prizes, shall be:
13. All non-winning contestants will also receive a token and certificate of recognition.
- E-ORATORICAL CONTEST:
- The contest is open to all Junior and Senior High School students from public and private schools.
- The Oratorical piece must be original and must expound the NSM Theme “NSM@32: “Revving Up for Economic and Social Recovery Through Evidence-Based Policies”
- All orations must be in English.
- All oration pieces must not exceed 1000 words. Delivery must not be less than 4 minutes nor more than 5 minutes.
- All entries will be pre-judged. Contestants must video record their entries. The video and the copy of the piece should be in one folder with the subject “ORATORICAL PIECE_<NAME OF THE CONTESTANT>_<NAME OF SCHOOL> and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com on or before 22 October 2021, (Friday, 5pm).
- Only the Top 5 contestants will proceed to the live performance via virtual platform during the Closing Ceremony of the 32nd National Statistics Month through virtual/online on 29 October 2021, 9am.
- During the live performance, a bell will be rung once indicating the start of the contestant’s time. This means he/she should start to deliver his/her piece. At the end of 5 minutes allotted time, he/she will be muted.
- The oration shall not, in whole or in part, express or impliedly, subvert the principles of Democracy nor offend any religion, sect or creed, nor violate neither the standards of decency nor the laws on libel and oral defamation.
- The sequence of the orator’s presentation shall be determined through drawing of lots.
10.At the end of the contest, 3 contestants will be declared winners.
11.The decision of the board of Judges is final and non-appealable.
12.The declared winner will deliver his/her winning piece during the awarding ceremony in the afternoon, 29 October 2021.
13.The prizes, shall be:
14. All non-winning contestants will also receive a token and certificate of recognition.
15. By participating, the winners agree to the disclosure and publication of their names, video, photo, publicity or other media arrangement made by PSA related to the announcement of the results of this contest.
16.All submitted entries will become the property of the PSA RSSO XIII (Caraga). Articles may be cited or used by PSA for advocacy purposes and/or any other uses the PSA may deemed appropriate. Proper attribution to the author will be made should portions or the full article is cited.
Criteria for Judging
Choice of Piece (relevance to the theme) - 20.00%
Delivery (Voice projection, diction, pronunciation) - 20.00%
Mastery (piece) - 20.00%
Interpretation (appropriate vocal variety, mood, and rhythm) - 20.00%
Platform behavior (movement on stage/ blocking) - 10.00%
Poise, appropriateness of attire and stage presence - 10.00%
- INTER-AGENCY/LGU STAT QUIZ (VIRTUAL):
- The statistics quiz is open to all agencies and LGUs in the region.
- Interested participants shall accomplish a confirmation slip found on the last part of this bulletin. The filled-out confirmation slip shall be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com on or before 04 October 2021, Monday, at 5:00 p.m.
- The Inter-Agency / LGU Statistics Quiz will consist of three rounds: Round 1, Round 2, and Round 3. Each round will consist of 10 multiple-choice questions, each of which has four (4) choices wherein the participants would select for the correct answer. These questions were formulated by the formed PSA Technical Committee.
- There will be three (3) Board of Judges: two (2) members and a Chairperson, to oversee the conduct of the contest and to clarify and resolve all issues that will arise during the contest.
- Participating agencies should send one team comprising two (2) members. Only one registered agency or LGU per office will be accommodated in the virtual platform intended for the stat quiz participants. They shall register following the prescribed format, <Contestant number>_<Name of the Agency>_<Surname of contestant1_contestant2>; Example, 1_PSA_Pineda_Rudela. Contestant number will be given before the start of the contest.
- The contestants will be closely monitored through video cameras.
- In all rounds, questions will be read by the designated quizmaster twice. The questions will also be flashed on the screen at the same time while these are being read.
2. Contestants will answer the question by typing down in the chat box the letters of their choice. All answers must be sent privately to the assigned host.
3.The following steps will be followed in the administration of the three rounds:
- The Quizmaster will present the contest rules and procedures. A trial question will be given before the start of Round 1.
- The Quizmaster will read each question twice, and the four (4) choices. All competing teams should wait for the “go signal” before they can send their answers, otherwise they will be disqualified in that particular quiz item. The first given answer will be considered final by the board of judges.
- The Quizmaster will announce the correct answer (also to be shown on screen), and proceed to read the answer of each team. Examiners will tally the scores.
iv.At the end of each round, the Quizmaster will read the cumulative score of each team for that particular round.
v. At the end of Round 3, scores of the team for the three rounds will be added. Final scores of the team will be announced and the Champion will be proclaimed, that is, if no ties occur.
vi.At the end of the quiz, all members of the Board of Judges should fill out and sign the Tally Sheet.
Each correct answer in Round 1 will earn the team 1 point. Each correct answer in Round 2 will earn the team 2 points. Each correct answer in Round 3 will earn the team 3 points. A wrong answer or no answer will be given 0 point.
DECLARING THE WINNER
- The cumulative score for all rounds will be the basis for selecting the Champion. The team with the highest cumulative score for all rounds will be declared the Champion.
- In case of ties (in any of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places), the scores of round 1 shall be used to break the tie. If a tie still exists, scores of round 2 will then be used. If at this point a tie still exists, a tie-breaking question will be administered simultaneously to all the tied teams using the sudden-death rule, that is, a team with a wrong answer will be eliminated.
- Top three winners will receive cash prizes:
1st Prize: Php5,000.00 (Champion)
2nd Prize: Php3,000.00
3rd Prize: Php2,000.00
4. All non-winning contestants will also receive a token and certificate of recognition.
For inquiries, please contact the PSA – NSM Secretariat:
Philippine Statistics Authority
Regional Statistical Services Office XIII
Freeman Bldg., J.C. Aquino Avenue, Butuan City
Tel. No. (085) 815 – 2878
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Please complete and send the information sheet below to confirm your participation in the competition to email@example.com on or before 01 October 2021.
The participant/s allow PSA to use the materials/video entries in all PSA advocacy and related activities. It is also further understood that all contestants hold the PSA free from any liabilities of intellectual property rights, and/or any ownership-related issues.
________________________ ________________________ _________________________
Name and Signature of Participant Name and Signature of Participant Name and Signature of Participant